Susan (Shoshannah- Hebrew)
Sculptor - Painter - Poet, Author & Illustrator of Children's books
Her works have been exhibited at galleries and museums regionally and nationally including the Maryland Art Place, Towson University, The DCCA, Gomez Gallery, the Janice Charach Gallery of Detroit, and is in private collections throughout the United States as well as in Ireland. She has been noted for her unusual and eclectic approach to art as well as for her eye for design.
The past few years she has been experimenting with a pentimento style of art. Most recently she has been working on a multi-process of painting over oil and acrylic canvases with white house paint to create a bumpy surface on which she then creates fine-line drawings with one-bristle brush and India ink. One of these new works was exhibited in Durham, NC at the Art Guild's notable annual exhibition and earned attention in a Durham newspaper by an art critic. Susan is also an accomplished writer and poet whose works are often informed by Dada and Surrealism. Many of her works correspond with her paintings and vice versa. More about her influences at bottom of page.
RECENT EXHIBITIONS, PUBLICATIONS AND APPEARANCES (2015 - 2021)
Writings, Publications, Readings:
- Publiction: Art workm "Zoom" included in the esteemed, Annual Publicatiom Three Rooms Press: Maintenant 16: A Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art
- Poetry Reading and International Book Launch (inclusion of Poem) for Three Rooms Press, Maintenant 13 Dada Journal, (Le) Poisson Rouge, (Soho/Greenwich Village) New York, NY, June 2019
- Poetry Reading: West End Poetry Festival, Carrboro, NC, October 18, 2018
- Poetry Reading and International Book Launch for Three Rooms Press, Maintenant 12 Dada Journal, (Le) Poisson Rouge, (Soho/Greenwich Village) New York, NY, June 6, 2018:
- Publication: Inclusion in the esteemed, Annual Publication, Maintenant 12, A Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art by Three Rooms Press, publication date June 2018
- Publication: Inclusion in the Heron Clan V Poetry Journal, publication April 2018
- Recent: Reading for Heron Clan V: Sweet Bee Theater, Pittsboro, NC, May 10, 2018
- Recent: Reading for Heron Clan V: Golden Belt Studio ad Pop-Up Art Event, Durham, NC, April 20, 2018
- Recent: Reading for Heron Clan V: The Oasis, Carrboro, NC, April 19, 2018
- Recent: Reading for Heron Clan V: Lucky Tree, Raleigh, NC, April 18, 2018
- Recent: Shadow Award Winner, The Molotov Cocktail: Prize Winners Anthology Vol. 3, December 2018
- Recent: Reading: West End Poetry Festival: Carrboro NC, October 2018
Art & Exhibitions from the past few years (not an exhaustive list):
- Recent:Come Out and Play - Sculpture Show - Gim, Gim Farm, Pittsboro, NC, 2021
- Recent: Solo Exhibition, Painted Paradoxes, The Siegel JCC ArtSpace, Wilmington, DE, November 10 - December 22, 2019
- "Reclining": The 63rd Annual Juried Exhibition: Durham Art Guild, Durham, NC , 2017
- Come Out and Play - Sculpture Show - Gim, Gim Farm, Pittsboro, NC, 2018
- Come Out and Play - Sculpture Show - Gim, Gim Farm, Pittsboro, NC, 2017
- "Winter" Permanent Collection - Chosen for Lofts at Lakeview: Durham, NC - 2017
- "Orange Explosion and Mask Envy:" Juried Annual Community Art Exhibit:- The ArtsCenter, Carrboro NC, 2015
Susan's background has often influenced her art:
Susan grew up outside of Annapolis, Maryland, attending a one-room schoolhouse. Her influences stem from the paradox of the serene countryside and comical but sometimes-tragic family characters. Her grandfather on her father's side (gentile), joined the Barnum T Bailey Circus during the Depression, after his partner jumped from the office window upon learning that they were to lose their business. Her mother was the youngest of seven, and from a prominent German-Jewish Family whose wealth also was lost when Susan’s grandfather died from diabetes complications. Her mother taught her about love and the appreciation of the ARTS and the quality of life. Her father introduced her to great literature. Susan is passionate, inquisitive and has a childlike fascination for the joys of life.
She studied dance at Peabody Conservatory, under Dale Sehnart, and also under Estelle Dennis, writing under award-winning author Andrei Codrescu. Her past also includes founding a woman-owned art gallery.
She was approved for an Artist membership at MOMA. (Modern Museum of Art.) Susan lives by what she coined over 20 years go, “The Arts not only report different visions of our world, but also create new worlds and new visions.” This is her mission.